24 February 2009

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I set off for work, on the mountain bike, this morning and within 100 yards had a decision to make. There was just the hint of rain in the air - should I take the long route to work or the short? I decided on the longer, 6 mile, ride so that I could stop off at Alvaston Lake to feed my little friend Jemima the white duck! She doesn't answer to her name but does resemble Beatrix Potter's Jemima Puddle Duck!

On the way home from work this evening I encountered a Harris's Hawk hunting along the banks of the River Derwent, at the rear of Pride Park Stadium. This has left me with a decision to make - should I count what is without doubt an escaped bird on my "10-Mile List" or not? The BOU has this species on the "Category E" list (Species that have been recorded as introductions, transportees or escapees from captivity, and whose British breeding populations (if any) are thought not to be self-sustaining). I guess the decision has been made for me. The hawk misses out on a place on my list!

Having arrived home and given the bike a quick service it was then time to eat. I sat down to my pancakes and had a decision to make - should I have lemon juice, orange juice, maple syrup or a mixture of each on them? Five very large pancakes later and I'd overcome that little problem! I love pancakes with anything on them!

Now... shall I have a beer or a whisky? Decisions, decisions!


No comments:

Post a Comment