04 June 2006

Well, we found out what the fire was… it was the Sir Henry Royce Centre, at Rolls Royce! It isn't anymore! Early reports are that arsonists set fire to the £1million building that housed the company’s conference rooms and canteen. Around 40 fire fighters were called in to tackle the blaze, which has apparently destroyed the building!

On a brighter note, I went up to the Goyt Valley today for a birding walk with the Derby RSPB Group. The Goyt is one of my favourite places for walking, especially on a day like today, it was nice and bright, not too hot and with just a very light breeze. The RSPB walk didn’t start until 8:30AM but I arrived there at just before 5:30AM! This gave me plenty of time to explore some of the areas that we would not cover on the “official” walk later in the morning.

Now, this isn’t a place to go if you want to build a big list of birds in one day! In the seven hours or so that I was there today I managed to see 33 species - not a lot but the list did include a few speciality birds such as Wood Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Whinchat, Stonechat and Red Grouse. We also came across good numbers of Curlew including a pair with a young chick. Two birds that I failed to find were Pied Flycatcher and Redstart.

The Goyt may not be as rich in bird life as the Trent Valley area of Derbyshire, where I do a lot of my birding, but it's a stunning place for walking…

Errwood reservoir - at 5:25AM!

Looking up towards Berry Clough.

The ferns find any shelter they can!

Looking from the top of Berry Clough.

No comments:

Post a Comment