28 March 2008

Missing out, but getting published!

It’s been one of those weeks when work really has been the one place I would rather not have been. The workload has been bad enough but it has been the bird sightings these past few days that have been the real problem! There have been too many good birds on my local patch at a time when I haven’t been able to get out to see them!

On Wednesday I went back to work, just as an adult Kittiwake, a Swallow and a Bar Tailed Godwit turned up at Willington. On Thursday, three Black Tailed Godwits appeared, again at Willington. Today, just to really rub salt in the wound, Willington played host to three Avocets! It’s been possibly the best three day run at this site ever and I’ve been at work through all of it! Great, just great!

Time for some good news... the Peregrines on Derby Cathedral have their first egg! At around 12:30PM today the web-cam at the nest platform picked up the first sighting of an egg; over the next few days there should, hopefully, be one or two more appearing.

Photo taken from the Derby Peregrine blog site.

The Peregrine blog can be found at http://derbyperegrines.blogspot.com/ with a link there to the web-cam site.

One last little piece of news... the photo I posted here, on March 9th, of Allestree lake has been printed in the local paper today! The Derby Evening Telegraph publish a photo, taken by a reader, each day that has been taken in and around the county and today it was mine. It’s the first time I’ve ever submitted any of my photos to a paper or magazine so it was nice to see it appear, and to get a few phone calls from people that had seen my name in the paper! Signed copies will be available, at a price!

The Allestree Park lake photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment