08 May 2006

Busy, busy, busy!

Well, this week certainly flew by! Work has been non-stop, luckily with no real problems, and Derbyshire has enjoyed a bit of a run of good birds for the past five or six days, which has meant I've been kept on my toes with the birdwatching too.

Tuesday was the first day back at work, after the long Bank Holiday weekend, and that went OK. After work the plan had been to go to the gym, that all went out of the window when I received news of a Woodchat Shrike at Long Eaton. This was only the third ever county record, the others being one shot in 1838 and another, seen by just one person, in 1968 and so was a bit of a "mega tick" for Derbyshire birders. Less than an hour after finishing work and I'd seen the Shrike!

After work on Wednesday, I ran the mower over the lawns and got them looking tidy again; still no time for the gym! I'm in need of a workout now to get rid of the "damage" done by eating too much at Center Parcs!

So onto Thursday. We put our gym bags in the car on Thursday morning, headed off to work with all good plans of going to the gym in the evening followed by shopping. Not a chance! During the afternoon I got word of a group of eight Black Terns at Long Eaton, strange how that place has started to get some of the better birds again. Less than an hour after work and the Terns had been added to my County List.

Friday ran to form... no gym, just shopping and then home. The rest of the evening was spent getting rid of some of the overgrown shrubs in the back garden. By the time the light started to go I had cleared most of one border ready for replanting over the next week or two.

Saturday was a day off from work and I spent the morning clearing more of the garden. Rain stopped play in the afternoon so I was forced back inside the house!

That just leaves today! After breakfast, Lynda and I went off to the garden centre in search of summer bedding plants and also to get ideas for the now cleared border. We got most of the bedding plants that we will need but didn't find anything that would really do for the border. After lunch I sat down to enjoy the F1 Grand Prix.

Just as it became a reasonable bet that Schumacher would win, the phone rang! Yet more bird news, this time Whimbrel and Turnstone at Aston-On-Trent. Off I set and within less than quarter of an hour another two ticks were in the bag for the year. The trip out was made even better as I was also able to add Whinchat and Temminck's Stint that turned up later in the afternoon.

Next week, I will be back at the gym and I will get my "Birding Lists" page updated! Then again...

No comments:

Post a Comment