02 July 2007

Still quiet...

Another week goes by and it was more of the same… work, work, work, rain, rain, rain.

After the worst of the flooding last Monday, I managed to get out of work for half an hour during Tuesday afternoon and take a walk down to the River Derwent, at the rear of Pride Park. The water must have been a good 10 or 12 feet higher than normal and had, in places, actually come up and over the river bank and flooded the cycle path.

Camera phone photo of the River Derwent on Tuesday.

Wednesday morning saw a brief respite from the rain and I took the chance to use the bike to get to work. I just about managed to get there before the first shower came and was lucky enough to ride home at night during another dry spell. The ride along the river path showed that the river had dropped by about 8 feet in just over 24 hours. The rest of the week saw the bike back in the garage as the rain fell constantly - I love the bike rides but not enough to get drowned first thing in a morning!

The gym is still a priority - I managed to drag myself there on a further three occasions last week and will be there tomorrow evening. At long last, I seem to be back into a routine with my workouts and feel committed to them again, only time will tell. I have also been using Lynda’s pedometer to measure my steps and distance walked during the day. An average day is around five or six thousand steps, which works out at about 2 or 2.5 miles. I’m a long way short of the recommended 10,000 steps but at least I am trying to up the distance whenever I can.

Sunday, 1 July 2007. A date that I have looked forward to for a long, long time! Smoking was finally banned from all enclosed public places in England! No more coming home from pubs, clubs, restaurants and gigs smelling like a week-old ashtray! Many people think this ban is a breach of their human rights… I say killing me with your smoke is a breach of MY human rights!

If people want to smoke that’s fine by me, I don’t have a problem with that, but non-smokers are equally entitled to clear air. As the adverts in the papers have been saying…

WELCOME TO THE GREAT INDOORS!

No comments:

Post a Comment