21 April 2008

The first young of the year...

The ride into work this morning didn’t give me any new bird sightings for the year; in fact it was a little quiet to be honest. The Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers were a little quieter than they have been, the Great Spotted Woodpecker as nowhere to be seen, or heard, and the Sand Martins and Swallows had moved from Alvaston Park Lake to the river.

I did get to see five “new arrivals” though - the first Canada Goose chicks of the year. As I stopped by the lake two of the adult geese came over to me to see if I had bread for their breakfast, with them came five little bundles of fluff that could not have been more than a couple of days old. Today, they looked cute... in a matter of months they will have grown into noisy, aggressive, nuisances just like their parents!

The family come to see if I have breakfast for them...

...but find that, today, they are unlucky!

Off in search of a bite to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment