11 August 2008

Feeling a little flat...

Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later and tonight it happened - I got a puncture on my mountain bike on the way home from work! I suppose I’ve not done too badly really, I've been cycling to work for just over two years and this is the first time that I’ve had to walk. Running the bike on Slime Tubes has helped prevent more than the odd walk to or from work but even they couldn’t cope fully with tonight’s 2-inch nail in the rear tyre.

The tyre punctured around 2½ miles into the 5½ mile ride and as soon as I heard the air starting to escape from the tube I stopped, pulled out the nail, spun the wheel to circulate the sealant and was pleased to hear the “hiss” of escaping air stop. “Great” I thought, “the Slime has worked yet again”. Another mile down the road and the tyre started to feel soft. I stopped, pumped up the tyre again, spun the sealant around once more and carried on. Just a few hundred yards more and the tyre was “hissing” worse than ever - I was beat, the tyre was flat! After a walk of around 1½ miles I arrived home.

Now, the tyre is fixed and the bike is all ready for the rest of the week’s commuting. The only problem now is the weather forecast... rain, rain and more rain. Maybe I should have left the tyre as it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment