27 January 2008

It’s been a busy old weekend, for saying I’ve not really done much!

Our Burns Night Supper on Friday was delicious. We had Haggis, of course, mashed potato and Sweet Chestnuts. Add to that a couple of rather large measures of Glenmorangie and the night was enjoyable to say the least!

Whisky and Haggis!

Saturday morning was spent at work, which wasn’t too busy, so I managed to catch up on a lot of paperwork. Straight after work I went off to get my hair cut - bit of a mistake that as it took me almost an hour and a half to get it done. The shop was packed and everyone was working flat out.

On Saturday evening, Lynda and I met up with our friend Mike for a few drinks. We started in the Rose & Crown in Chellaston but after a pint of cider and a very nice, and rather large, bacon, lettuce, and tomato baguette, I started to feel that maybe this wasn’t the best of places for us to spend the evening. The food was great and the cider was fine but we had chosen Karaoke Night! The final straw for me was when a young boy started to murder a Kate Nash song (Foundations)… time for us to make a quick exit!

The rest of the evening was spent in the much more pleasant surroundings of The Coopers Arms, in Weston on Trent. This pub used to be a regular haunt for Lynda and I, while she still lived in the village, and it was good to see that the place hasn’t lost any of its character over the years. The place also had a good “buzz” about it but without being so loud that you couldn’t hold a conversation without shouting. The drinks continued to flow until last orders were called at around 11:15PM. At that point double measure of Talisker whisky finished off my evening rather well! Needless to say… Lynda was doing the driving last night and spent the evening enjoying soft drinks!

This morning I was out of bed at just after 8:00AM so that I could take part in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch. This annual survey of the UK’s garden birds sees participants counting the number of birds that land in their garden, or local park, at any one time in a single hour. Our tiny patch of garden didn’t come up with any surprises in terms of species or numbers but it was good to be able to sit and see just what would turn up. My bird count for the hour between 8:30AM and 9:30AM was…

House Sparrow 10
Starling 8
Blackbird 4
Collared Dove 4
Wood Pigeon 3
Carrion Crow 2
Dunnock 2
Blue Tit 1
Robin 1

After a late breakfast, Lynda and I headed off in search of a new car. We’ve been looking at changing ours for a good few months now but have struggled to find just the right one. Today, we came close enough to ticking all the right boxes to finally make a purchase. The car we’ve chosen is a four-month-old Ford Fiesta Zetec. It has everything we wanted and a couple of things that I didn’t really want, namely two extra doors!

I’ve never been a fan of five door cars but I’m sure I’ll come around to the idea quickly enough. At least everything else on my shopping list is there… alloy wheels, air con, ABS brakes, heated front screen, CD player (with MP3 player connection), rear spoiler and low mileage. It even has black privacy glass that looks pretty smart seeing as the car has metallic black paint. As Lynda put it “it’s proper pimped up”! Photos of the new “toy” will appear here sometime after we pick it up next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment